Hi,

because you asked and to give a more encompassing picture:

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 08:23:29AM +0100, Jan Wagner wrote:
> - RIOT is an OS that is mostly powered by the community with alot
> of students of european universities(?)

This has been the case but is changing as RIOT is on the brink of
being robust, stable and feature-rich enough for instant product
development. There are several companies visibly investing time
(in this case equalling money) in RIOT already, and there are several
companies actively evaluating RIOT for fitness for their products.

> - Why is RIOT searching for partnerships is it only about money? -
> and for what is that money exatly needed?
> - Why are Business Partnerships needed? - the business gets a free
> OS and saves tons of development months,

In order to achieve our goal of making the IoT a better place TM, we
want products to be based on RIOT. RIOT can only maintain its current
speed of development if people continue to put work into it. If RIOT
stops improving, there will be no products based on RIOT and our
vision of the IoT might not come to life.
We believe that individuals hacking on RIOT in their spare time is not
enough to make this happen. Contributions from universities and other
research institutions can not be relied upon for financing.

What we are looking for is enterprises willing to invest in the
development of RIOT in tune with our vision. What that means in detail
(in-house developers, consulting, shared financing of maintainers ...)
is not important. The important thing is that companies need to
dedicate resources.

It's really quite analogues to Linux kernel development. Ideally,
hardware vendors contribute code for their architectures, platforms,
devices etc so that others will use those to realize products, and
product developers contribute whatever they need as a software basis
for their applications so that development and maintenance costs can
be shared.

> Q: I am straight spitter: I have heard that RIOT will have a "full
> time worker/developer" hired - or was already hired - Where does the
> money for the salery of this person comes from?

I was hired by airfy as a regular in-house software developer. This
means I will not be working as a full time RIOT maintainer.
However, as you can already read in the OTA thread, airfy is planning
to contribute in the development efforts of RIOT.

Cheers,
Ludwig