Thank you Oleg for this complete response!
I agree with you about IETF protocols, everybody should use them and it
will make communication easier.
Concerning IoTBase, I would add that they're thinking about a stack for
constrained devices [1] so it might be easier to implement on RIOT. As you
said, Riot nodes will be connected to something more powerful but this kind
of protocol avoids to create new proprietary protocols.
Let's wait a bit more for Thread, they should come up with something useful
and not too expensive hopefully.

I found this link on stackoverflow where they compare AllJoyn and
IoTivity.[2]

Cheers,

[1] https://www.iotivity.org/documentation/linux/programmers-guide
[2]