Hi Joakim,

+1 We use mostly Contiki-based applications presently and it would be
a big improvement if it was possible to get ContikiMAC duty cycling
working in RIOT as well.
Who is "we" if I may ask? Just curious.

# Requirements

  * Mesh topology => no single-point-of-failure
Is this not a requirement of the routing?
Did you have a look at the IEEE 802.15.4 specification? It's assumed to have a so called PAN coordinator that forces the network to a star topology. It's extendable to a tree of stars, but still you need a PAN coordinator in every region. This node is the mentioned single point of failure and additionally has increased energy consumption.

This is exactly what I don't want.

# Ideas / Questions

  * Do we need broadcasting?
Routing protocols might need it. RPL sends solicitation messages to
ask for routing information.
There are broadcasting schemes for the implementation I aim for, but they don't come for free in terms of energy consumption, like e.g. on a network bus. I'll elaborate about this later if you want.

  * Add multi-hop / routing later? Is this even reasonable?
Some kind of routing will be necessary for any useful applications, at
least some kind of hardware address to IPv6 address mapping must exist
to fill the neighbor cache. (e.g. RPL, NDP)
Sure. Hardware addresses are needed anyway to get your data delivered to the destination node.

Best regards,
Daniel Krebs