Hi Adeel!

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:08:06AM +0000, Adeel Mohammad Malik wrote:

> > > That's indeed an interesting question. I think the easiest solution would
> > > be
> > > to either plug an Ethernet module to the Discovery Board or use ethos
> > > (ETHernet Over Serial) [2] to connect to the Gateway that run a CCN-lite
> > > client with two interfaces (one with an Ethernet socket pointing to the
> > > RIOT
> > > node and one with an IP/UDP socket pointing to the rest of the world).
>
> I am a bit confused here. Are you talking about running CCN-lite over
> Ethernet? And if I was to run CCN-lite over Ethernet would I not need an
> Ethernet module for which RIOT has a driver? There is an extension board
> (STM32F4DIS-BB) for the STM32F4Discovery board that provides an Ethernet
> jack. What I am not sure about though is whether there is driver support in
> RIOT for the Ethernet interface on STM32F4DIS-BB.

As far as I understand the STM32F4 comes already with integrated Ethernet
functionality and the STM32F4DIS-BB just provides the Ethernet jack (RJ45). So
far, there is AFAIK no driver for the Ethernet capabilities on the STM32F4,
but it shouldn't be too difficult(TM) to implement that, since there is
already a general Ethernet netdev2 interface.

> I was also thinking a bit about how easy it would be to do a similar thing
> but over 802.15.4 and not Ethernet. As Peter and you have pointed out, I
> could use wires to connect the Atmel at86rf2xx transceiver to the
> STM32F4Discovery board. The gateway side seems a bit problematic though. I
> could plug in an 802.15.4 dongle in a gateway device and run CCN-lite
> (without the RIOT OS) on the gateway. However, then CCN-lite should be able
> to run over 802.15.4. I assume that CCN-lite does not have support for that.

You're right: CCN-lite native only supports Ethernet, but I don't think it
should be very complicated to add this feature.

> One thing that could possibly be done here is to use a hardware platform of
> the scale of a Raspberry Pie that supports the RIOT OS for the gateway. Then
> I could run the CCN-lite + RIOT OS on that gateway and attach an 802.15.4
> transceiver to it to communicate with the STM32F4Discovery board on one hand
> and interface it via UDP/IP/Ethernet to the network side on the other. But
> this assumes that RIOT OS support relays nodes (not just end nodes) and can
> run on dual stack i.e. 802.15.4 on one side and UDP/IP/Ethernet on the
> other. Also in the list of supported platforms on the RIOT homepage I don’t
> see a platform (of the scale of Raspberry Pie) that can do this. Is RIOT
> supported on the Raspberry Pie?

RIOT does not run directly on the Raspberry Pi (although you could run RIOT
native on Pi hosted Linux). The Raspberry Pi is considered as out of scope for
RIOT. Basically, everything that runs Linux is considered out of scope.

You can either use Ethernet dongle for any sensor board and implement the
driver if needed, use Ethernet over serial (ethos) or connect a 802.15.4
dongle to the Pi.

Cheers,
Oleg

--