Hello,
I finally got around to porting my implementation to use sock instead of
conn. I am running into a similar issue now. It seems this check is still
in sock (see
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blame/master/sys/posix/sockets/posix_sockets.c#L237
).

I think that the check should be:
assert(0 <= socket && socket < _ACTUAL_SOCKET_POOL_SIZE);

but perhaps there is some reasoning behind the original check that I am not
aware of. Could someone more familiar with the sock code please take a look?

Thanks,
Sam