Hi Koen,

awesome! IMO this is interesting work and I'd like to push this forward,
at least to use it myself at some point in time, though I can't promise
an in-depth review so soon -> let's start polishing "later".

Did you already start measurements of the actual consumption saving of a
node? Do you plan to evaluate your approach in different network
topologies?

Cheers
Peter

On 22.06.2017 22:00, Koen Zandberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For a small research project as a part of my study, I did some research
> on the effectiveness of dynamic radio output scaling. The general idea
> is that to save power, the radio has to transmit at only the power
> required to reach the destination. For the research I wanted to build a
> practical setup instead of a simulation as one of the research goals.
>
> The setup I've build works by estimating the minimum required powered
> and using layer 2 acks (or the lack thereof) as feedback. At this point
> I have a mostly working power scaling proof of concept implemented in
> RIOT. For an example measurement: https://bergzand.net/misc/etx5.svg
> which is a measurement of a number of packets. The blue dots is an ETX
> estimation measured based on the feedback from the radio module. The Red
> line is the power configured for that packet. As visible, power is
> scaled down until a stable level is reached. Power keeps oscillating
> around this level until a lot of interference is noticed, then the power
> sweeps back up.
>
> The merit of this whole idea is that it should both save the node power,
> but when implemented correctly also improve the total throughput of the
> network. This last point because nodes transmit with less power, thus
> causing less interference with nodes further away.
>
> If there is interest in having this feature merged in mainline RIOT-os,
> I'm willing to work on this to make sure that the code quality is as
> required. The code can be viewed and tracked at
> https://github.com/bergzand/RIOT/tree/mwn2
>
> Regards,
> Koen

Peter Kietzmann