Robert Hartung <hart...@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de> wrote:
    > I would like to see a OSI layer model along with common implementations

OSI layer documentation has seldom helped people write better code, IMHO.

It's a useful abstraction... in the abstract. It's a conceptual model, not a
way to structure code.  Many have made that confusion over the decades.

But, I share your pain.  Dealing with systems with pointers to functions but
which don't have objects that you can easily follow (or that Eclipse can eat
all your ram trying to show you) can make life really difficult.

That was my reason for asking for "such as..." messages in the headers where
pointers to functions are defined.

    > So all I am asking for would be a little help, to complete such a
    > diagram for now, to know all apis and "entry" points and give some
    > examples on how to access layers. Ideally at one point, my wish would be
    > fulfilled to be able to easily exchange layers.

Functional Block Diagrams, and also time-sequence diagrams would help.
Being able to reference them easily the headers is good.
Having them in ascii art, easily amended and reviewed good.
ASCIIO is a good tool, but alas, it doesn't seem to have a command-line
interface!

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [