Hi,

some preliminary report on dhcpy6:

Am 06.11.20 um 13:23 schrieb Martine Sophie Lenders:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Am 06.11.20 um 11:58 schrieb Matthias Waehlisch:
> […]
>>> I think the simplest solution to get rid of UHCP could be, to have a
>>> very simple DHCPv6 server that just provides Prefix Delegation at
>>> hand, that could be compiled (if it is not a script) as fast as UHCPD
>>> can be and allows for easy non-root deployment.
>>   anybody any experiences with https://github.com/HenriWahl/dhcpy6d
>> (they claim prefix delegation support)
> I remember looking at it back when I was searching servers, but do not
> remember why I decided against it (maybe back then it did not support PD
> yet or did not seem very stable back then?) A python-based DHCPv6 server
> would be of course perfect for our use case: Easy to set-up and platform
> independent (though in dhcpy6d's README they curiously leave out Windows
> in their listing, but not that important for us, I guess). I agree it's
> worth a look! If I find some time today, I will have a go at it.

There are currently some caveats to dhcpy6 that I identified to run it
as non-root user / use it as drop-in DHCPv6 server:
- It can't be installed via the usual python methods, as it expects a
UNIX file structure at the installation path and dumps directories like
`usr/` `bin/` and `etc/` there [1]; i.e. it can only be installed as
root and sensibly used.
- Setting the port to a non-standard port was removed in March [2]
because there seemed to be no apparent use for it [3].

However, the dhcpy6 people seem open to the idea, to make the server
runnable as non-root user, so it would be a small effort on our part
(compared to writing a simple DHCPv6 server ourselves) to help them
negate those caveats.

Cheers,
Martine

[1] https://github.com/HenriWahl/dhcpy6d/issues/33