Hello Joel,

Am 28.04.23 um 00:19 schrieb Joel Sherrill:

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:06 PM Chris Johns <chr...@rtems.org <mailto:chr...@rtems.org>> wrote:

    Hi,

    All RSB repo commits need to be posted for review and independent
    approval given
    before being pushed to the top level repo.

I thought this was the policy for all top level repositories. There is a degree of trust on any posted patch that it has been tested by the submitter with the understanding that things do slip through. If someone is regularly submitting modifications without
testing them, then we have a larger problem.

Regarding the policy: I think that is documented in the rtems.git in the MAINTAINERS-file:

  https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/MAINTAINERS

We have a few people who are trusted to distinguish between patches that can be pushed without review and patches that should get a review while all other should post a patch for review and wait at least for a few days before pushing it (for BSP specific stuff) or need an acknowledge (for general stuff).

Chris: Is that a temporary rule for the blanket write privilege maintainers while trying to reach a stable release version? Is there a difference between the tools starting with "6/" (which should be the release version) and the ones that start with "7/" (which are more or less an unstable test version)?

Best regards

Christian

That said, I think we all have accidentally gotten through a reviewed patch which
broke some odd BSP/architecture or introduced warnings.

This isn't about improving testing. It is just formalizing that a patch should be
posted for review and an ACK.

--joel

    Thanks
    Chris