Around 11 o'clock on Feb 27, "Kendall Bennett" wrote:

> So fast, efficient text could be done in XFree86 if a single function was
> used to transfer an entire bitmap in the driver code (pre-clipping could
> easily be done before the driver code is called), and some high level
> code to maintain and render the glyphs into the pre-allocated large
> bitmap.

That's how Render does text today, except that it allocates the temporary
bitmap on the fly (which isn't a big deal with modern malloc
implementations).  Monochrome bitmaps the size of the screen are one
thing, but 32bpp bitmaps at screen size are a bit large to keep around for
this purpose (yes, Render glyphs really are 32bpp on LCD screens).

> Granted, if you have hardware alpha blits that will be the fastest way to
> do this. But if you don't have hardware alpha blits (and lots of cards
> supported by XFree86 do not), you can still speed up anti-aliased text
> quite a lot by using a 4 or 8 level scheme using multiple mono bitmaps.

I suppose, but it wouldn't be compatible with the Render semantics.  If
I'd heard users complaining about text performance, I'd be more interested.
Plus, the number of users with cards that can't support image compositing
is rapidly declining; essentially any card that has even the smallest
amount of acceleration for 3D graphics can accelerate Render.

-keith