On 14 Jul 2003 01:48:52 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>[XFree86 is switching to SFNT wrappers for bitmap fonts; what is a
> suitable extension?  Adding the FreeType and PFAEdit lists in case
> they have something to say.]
>
>David,
>
>As far as I know, Microsoft doesn't use bitmap-only sfnts -- they use
>scalable fonts throughout, nowadays, only keeping the legacy .FON
>format for backwards compatibility.

Unless I misunderstand the context, which is entirely possible, this is not so.
Windows XP still has Terminal, Courier, MS Serif and MS Sans Serif, all of
which are bitmapped and in common use.  Indeed, MS Sans Serif is the default
font for dialog boxes unless otherwise overridden.

--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.