That was the initial plan, but I found out that having FreeType grok
such fonts required more changes than David Turner was wililng to make
in the 2.1.* series.  So I'm generating a zero-length glyf and a
one-entry loca.  (No EBSC indeed.)
Ok, I'm currently posting a new build of PfaEdit which will generate embedded bitmap opentype fonts with extension ".otb" which contain dummy 'glyf' and 'loca' tables (and no 'EBSC'). Let me know if there are any problems with this or if the format changes over time.

I feel that having the same extension for bitmap and scalable fonts is
confusing -- without a naming extension, you need tools such as ftdump
to find out what your fonts are.
In the same vein, perhaps it would be appropriate to give such fonts a different "version" string in the offset table at the beginning of the font (PfaEdit is currently generating 'OTTO', which is appropriate for opentype fonts). Should this change too? 'OTBO'? or will that need too large a change to freetype?