Michel Dänzer wrote:
[stripped]
( 3180.0/sec): 500x500 rectangle
( 1920.0/sec): 500x500 tiled rectangle (17x15 tile)
( 139.0/sec): ShmPutImage 500x500 square

Here (P4 Celeron, 2.0Ghz, SiSM650, DDR266) it's

2500/sec for rect500
1100/sec for oddtilerect500
717/sec for shmput500

Seems your engine is a bit faster (rect500, oddtilerect). VideoRAM access seems slower, though ?! Huh?

Why the h*ck is render so fast on your machine?

One possibility is that doing it unaccelerated requires the CPU to read from video RAM, which is terribly slow on my shared-memory architecture machine. dga (by pressing b) reports about 500MB/sec for writing, and only 37MB/sec for reading.

Perhaps the 2D engine suffers from the same bottle-neck when doing the alpha blending...

(Now, if I just could find out why the accelerator functions are not being called on my 4.3 system...)

I guess it's not the op being something else than PictOpOver? Could it be related to XAA_RENDER_NO_SRC_ALPHA?

I hadn't even set this until this morning. (In my tests, source alpha was never used as logging the calls showed).

They are called under 4.2, but not under 4.3.

Does the server make the difference, or the libraries? Have you traced the X server which would call them?

Qt (current debian version) never uses them, be it under 4.2 or 4.3. (One SuSE user reported they do on his system, though).

OpenOffice (current Debian version) uses them under both 4.2 and 4.3. Perhaps they have their own routines?

Frankly, I think it's only related to my inconsistent setup (Debian SID, 4.3 binaries from XFree.org copied over the 4.2 setup). I wouldn't bother too much about this.

Maybe freetype (which I use the Debian sid version of) needs to be recompiled for 4.3.

I don't think freetype is directly related to this, do you mean Xft?

Well, I confess, I am not an expert on these hundreds of libraries involved with text rendering :)

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria