On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Well in the end the answer was much simpler than expected. I am
>creating a RH kickstart CD and was playing with the packages I
>should include. I did include xfs but didn't include X. A
>message from the ini.d/xfs file would have been nice indeed as
>xfs doesn't start when there is no /usr/X11R6/bin/X.

Well, people can't have it both ways.  You complain that xfs
didn't start, someone else complains that xfs starts and they
don't need/want/use it.  We have to choose one single thing and
everyone gets it.

Anyway, the check for /usr/X11R6/bin/X to determine wether or not
to start xfs has been removed for quite a while now, as it makes
it difficult for people to start xfs, who don't run an X server
on the same machine and just want to use xfs for network font
serving.

Yes, this will probably upset the people out there who don't want
xfs to start up if they're not using an X server.  As I said
above though, people can't have it both ways as we can't read
people's minds.  The initscript can be disabled like any other
system service, so people who install xfs from now on, will have
it enabled by default (and it has TCP disabled also by default),
and those who don't actually want to use it or need it, can
disable it themselves as an end user configuration customization.

I feel this makes life the easiest for the largest amount of
users out there, and that's one of our goals.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris