I'd like to add a special hotkey feature to the icewm window manager:
If the user holds down a (function) key for a configurable
amount of seconds a program will be executed.

Now my problem is how to query the key states in xlib.

My first attempt was using XGrabKey and calculating the time
between KeyPress and KeyRelease events but this did not work
because of two problems:
. Autorepeat must not be set (bad thing)
. Other applications do not get the KeyEvents for the grabbed
  key (even worse)

Can anyone tell me how to query the real state of a specific key
(Pressed/Released?) with xlib ?
Does xkb offer functions for this issue?

.. or do I have to hack this directly into the xserver?

Thy for any hints!!

cheers,
pet