On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:45:19 +0100 (MET) "Gerhard Gruber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> > I dont think you will need to "poll " ...
>
> I definittly don't want to poll. That's the ugliest solution that I can
> think of. :) Also polling doesn't solve the problem of capturing the event as
> I want it. If I want to take the event for myself then the app shouildn't get
> it. The app should only get it when I decided that I don't need it. If I have
> to go this way, then I would rather start a seperate thread with it's own
> XEvent loop, which is much better for performance and doesn't waste time on
> polling.
>
> > you say you already manage to grab them , so then you only need to
> > decide to sent them back or not.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I the XLib function XSendEvent is capable to re-generate the
> > uninteressting event`s and sent them
>
> I already tried XSendEvent, but it didn't work out as I expected it. But
> this may be more a problem of me then of the function. :) When I recive the
> event it will be filled with all the event data. There are some field in it
> that tells me the window where the event belong, but this will be alwayxs the
> root window in my case, right? So when I send the event back with XSendEvent
> then I will receive it promptly because I capture all events. The proper
> solution would require 1) that I either determine where the event really
> belongs to or to 2) send it back telling X that I'm not interested in it and
> it should pass it on to where it belongs after me.
>
> Of course 2 would be prefereable. In case of 1 I wonder how to do it. I
> don't want to re-implement X in that I should decide which window is visible
> at where the mousepointer is and send it on to that window (I will investigate
> this though). I also tried to use XPushBackEvent and then disconnected from
> the server, then made a small delay and reconnected again.  This also didn't
> work out, because the event was lost, though I would have expected that it
> should have been put back in the X queue.
>
> > back to where it should belong ... just make sure that you also
> > investigate all the other things of the event so that you can aftwards
> > generate a proper new one ..
>
> The problem is - how can I detect where the event originally belonged to?
>
> > i believe this special "hook part " is best done in pure Xlib ... maybe
> > aftwards you can generate GTK - events again , but hooking all events
> > should not a GTK thing
>
> I implemented a small test app in pure X. I think I can work my way upwards
> once I have a solution on that level. But it may not even neccessary. I could
> also live without that and find another way to feed my app with the event
> that I capture, so I don't think that this will be the problem (I could be
> wrong on that, though :) ). As long as I don't have even one solution on any
> level I don't know how to proceed. That's why I though this list would be a
> good place to ask, because I thought that here should be many people familiar
> with X. :)

again - see my other reply. you've found a can of worms that basically x doesn't
do. ou COULD do this with mouse button presses (XGrabButton) and the dot he
XAllowEvent thing... but not just the mouse moving in general. you'd hit a
limitation of x. you'd HAVE to extend X itself with an extension to do what you
are after (unless there is an extension of this i don't know of somewhere. i
know xtest wont do it for sure...)

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
熊耳 - 車君                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]