On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 02:50:57 -0500 (EST), "Mike A. Harris"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Wrong.  Video mode switching is completely done within XFree86
>itself, and does not involve the kernel at all.  The video driver
>directly programs the CRTC on the video card in some drivers, and
>in other drivers, the video mode is programmed using the video
>BIOS.  Drivers with kernel modules, the kernel module contains
>interfaces which allow the userland 2D/3D driver components to do
>direct rendering to the video card, using DMA/IRQ.  The Nvidia

Thanks.

>proprietary kernel module also contains other goodies of which
>probably include some kind of JIT compiler to compile microcode
>on the fly for their GPU engine.  What else it might contain is

Well, that I am not interested in anyway.

>Hope it helps out.  ;o)

Yes. Definitley.

>That is not open sourced really.  That is nothing bug glue code,
>and is useless other than for the purpose of relinking the Nvidia
>proprietary kernel driver to a new kernel, so you can continue to
>use their driver.

But it does export some function to be called from user space. Another kernel
module can of course utilize these functions as well. At least if you know on
how to use them. :)

>Hope this clears up any misconceptions for sure this time.  ;o)

Yes. :)

>The most useful stuff for you is most likely the 2D XFree86 "nv"
>driver source code, and whatever might be in the Linux kernel
>framebuffer driver, or BSD et al.  Since no docs are available
>for this hardware though, you may have a tough time doing
>anything with it without the aide of someone familiar with the
>hardware.  Wish you the best of luck nonetheless.

I give it a try at least. :)

--
Gerhard Gruber

Für jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache Lösung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)