Direct3D may be more than a 3D graphics API...It may ALSO be a hardware interface standard.

A given graphics card, might, if I may, speak "D3D-ese" and/or "GL-ese", if you know what I mean.

I recommend that the hardware driver guys investigate this, and if this IS true (D3D-ese vs GL-ese), then I suggest we put out a "D3D API" similar to Mesa, or we could put in a GL-to-D3D translation module. (this could also be vice versa, D3D-to-GL, because D3D retained mode is pretty dang useful, what with its frames and meshes, very nice automatic geometry handling)

A D3D API may alsp be useful, and as XFree86 becomes more popular (and I'm sure it will), D3D programmers may have difficulty migrating to OpenGL, and a D3D API would help that. I just hope DirectX isn't an MS trademark, or that they've copyrighted the API...That sounds like something Micro$oft might do.

From: "Andreas Allacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Experimental Snapshot v4.3.99.901 - SIS-DRI-Driver-Problem
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:27:21 +0100

Hi,

I have tried your latest Snapshot and have a problem using the
SIS-DRI-Driver at WineX if it comes to Direct3D games… OpenGL games work
perfect… also DirectDraw...
BUT as said Direct3D games lock-up (only mouse works still) before I get
shown anything … the same is for the videos in the game… this all worked
perfect with the old SIS-Driver – but there I had the problem that in any
game – if DRI was used - I got a lock-up, even TuxRacers…

Could you please look into that … and tell me if the next release will fix
this problem … could you also maybe tell me what could have been the problem
with the old SIS-Driver?

One other thing: with glxinfo I got about 375 FPS with the old driver… with
the new I get around 200FPS – is it still that fast as the old … but only
glxinfo detects it wrong?.

Btw. after installing the new X Snapshot… autostarting of X doesn’t work
anymore … it tries but I get back to login mask without X… after logging in
and using startx this works.

Regards,
   Andreas Allacher