Brad Hards wrote:

Is it possible to insert a "shim" in the Windows video call chain? We have
something like that for USB (http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/) and
it works pretty well.

Do you mean between a Windows display driver and the PCI bus, so that you can snaggle all the I/O port and memory writes? No, that is not possible, at least not in the NT-based systems. Windows display drivers run in kernel mode, where I/O trapping is not possible.

Display drivers are supposed to use a set of macros to access memory-mapped I/O space, so in theory you could recompile the driver with those macros redefined (if you have source), but many drivers violate that rule and use ordinary pointer access.

Alternatively, are there tools (even for pay) that can monitor certain
addresses/IO ports under Windows? My needs are not so extravagant (I just
want to be able turn on dual head mirror on my i830 based laptop, without
rebooting), and that would likely be enough to get the missing info.

In Win9X, this is possible, because display drivers are user-mode. You could install a VXD to trap I/O ports and handle page faults for the memory-mapped space, but it would be a huge pain in the butt. It is not possible in NT/2K/XP.
--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.