On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, David Dawes wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:30:35AM +0000, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
>
> >There have been almost no expressions of support for this change, and
> >coherent objections from many of those whose contributions matter to the
> >project. I'm surprised you're still going ahead with it.
>
> I can't speak for why the XFree86 board that voted unanimously for the
> change, (and some of whom were advocating more radical changes), have
> hung me out to dry on this.  I also can't speak for why some developers
> have privately supported the change, but won't do so publicly.  But then
> taking the heat on things like this comes with the job.  And I have very
> thick asbestos undies, but boy do they itch :-)
>
> David

I don't believe that the BoD have "hung [you] out to dry". I know that I
personally believe that groups which have officers and a BoD usually best
function when there is a single unified voice that speaks, representing
the group(s). This responsibility most often falls to the President.
While there is a group of reactors that have associated their comments
specifically with you, David, the reality, in my opinion, is that the BoD
should be the target of those comments, and that is how I personally
receive them. Of course when you feel the way that you have stated above,
that implies that what I am saying is not necessarily what you believe is
how the group operates. That is an issue which we should resolve. I can
accept that and therefore followup here, stating that my personal opinion
is that you have represented what the BoD discussed and acted upon in a
reasonably concise manor. I also acknowledge that I have read and continue
to ponder the reactions, both positive and negative, that have resulted.
Should the BoD hold another meeting with the licensing issue on the
agenda, I believe that we will have a sufficient set of information to be
able to discuss the topic in detail.

- Marc