On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Marc Aurele La France wrote:

> Redirected from xfree86@ to devel@, where this belongs.
>
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Kelledin wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 February 2004 03:42 pm, Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> > > Secondly (and perhaps more to the point), is that <stdbool.h>
> > > is a very recent (glibc-wise) invention (read: bleeding edge).
> > >  So, in your shoes, I'd first talk to the glibc people about
> > > the implications of an stdbool.h in the first place.
>
> > Not that bleeding edge.  stdbool.h is part of gcc and has been
> > around since stock 2.95.3 (possibly earlier as well).  2.95.3
> > is...downright ancient, at least in software terms.
>
> Ooops, right.  I was only looking at /usr/include.
>
> Anyway, some versions of ncurses #undef bool just after #include'ing
> <stdbool.h>.  Thomas Dickey, ncurses developer, is on this list, so if
> he's reading this, he probably has some suggestions.

I overlooked the beginning of the thread.  stdbool.h is a C99 file, which
is fine.  But defining "bool" in that file is a gcc-ism.  Both gcc's
stdbool.h and ncurses.h are trying to solve the same problem (though
ncurses.h has a more valid reason - "bool" is a documented part of X/Open
curses, gcc is doing it solely as an extension).

In current ncurses (5.4), I don't have an undef for bool following
stdbool.h -- there was an undef in the version from last spring.  That was
to work around (no surprise) a conflict on BeOS with inconsistent
definitions of bool.  If gcc hadn't added that definition to stdbool.h the
#undef wouldn't have been needed.

I don't see the original comment on the mail archive - but have the
impression that he's trying to use some definition that relies on the
bogus "bool" from stdbool.h - So I guess the best recommendation is that
he should update to the regular release version of ncurses rather than one
of the development versions.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net