Hi,

S Streif schrieb:

> But to be sure that we are talking about the same file: The video bios file I
> am
> talking about is "mtg_3240.dat" (3240 stands for the build number). It is
> included in a zip file in the windows driver installation file.
> This zip file's name is "vbios852-855.zip" (i855 is my chip set).

Same for me, only that it was "mtg_3166.dat".

> I knew that. However, my hope was that the other files included in this
> "vbios*.zip" file are part of the OEM utility program BMP which is used to
> modify certain parameters in the original bios

Do you know where to get this program? This would be a start. Although
adding a video mode is not just a matter of giving h and v resolution.
You must provide some sort of parameter string and I found no
documentation for that.

> I hoped that the other files in this "vbios*.zip" file are the necessary
> modifications for the implementation of a 1400x1050 video mode.

As far as I figured out they are "plug-ins" for additional hardware
(TV-out etc.) and configuration files for use with BMP. Problem is, not
all configuration parameters are documented. (see above)

> Which laptop are you using?

Dell Inspiron 500m with a 1024x768 display and V-BIOS 2945 preinstalled.

> I will bear this warnings in my mind. Anyway, I want to try the bios
> replacement.

If you really want to try: Yes, you can load the new BIOS at 0xC0000.
But you have to make this area writable first. Documentation for that
can be found in the 855GM datasheet from Intel. And probably you'll have
to initialize the new BIOS by calling 0xC0003 in real mode. This call
crashed for me so I had to patch some bytes of the BIOS image.
You see: It's not really easy and I think the bytes to patch are
different in every version.

CU Christian
--
Christian Zietz  -  CHZ-Soft  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/