Mark Vojkovich wrote:

...Some hardware support 8 bit PseudoColor overlays now
but I expect this to go the way of the dodo. My impression is that
a future Microsoft operating system will not support 8 bit PseudoColor
modes nor will it support overlays so eventually these will disappear
from the hardware, leaving emulation as the only solution.

Exactly correct. Windows XP still includes support for 8-bit pseudo-color, if you know how to hack the registry, but it is not exposed in the UI, and their documentation implies that it is not supported.

--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.