Hi,
I don't think a functionality like this is really necessary. A calibration utility is started by a user once to find the mapping from touchscreen coordinates to "real" screen. In general it is a matrix doing shifting, stretching and rotating. To use scrn->currentMode is from my perspective not a hack. What can this function do more than reading these fields from screen structure. Another question is, what should be done in case of changing geometry? Automatically adjust the matrix? That is a 90% solution. What about external scaling facilities? "Letter box" display? IMHO, this should be done by userland program using DeviceControl.

Best Regards
Damian