On 06/12/2018 17:40, Matthew Ahrens wrote:

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:21 PM Josh Paetzel
<j...@tcbug.org<mailto:j...@tcbug.org>> wrote:
There was a proposal on this mailing list a week or so ago that sparked some
good discussion regarding setting feature flags at pool creation.  We discussed
this proposal on the last OpenZFS call and while we all agreed it was a good
idea, we felt the UI could use a little workshopping.

Thanks for leading this discussion, Josh!

This proposal is simply a starting point for a discussion.

The proposal is to add an optional flag at zpool create time.  -o features=

which can be set to one of the following 4 settings:

all:  The default and the current behavior of zpool create.  This setting
enables all features supported by the in use OpenZFS version.

compat: Enable async_destroy, empty_bpobj, filesystem_limits, lz4_compress,
spacemap_histogram, extensible_dataset, bookmarks, enabled_txg, and hole_birth.
This set of features is supported by FreeBSD/FreeNAS 9.3 (July of 2014), ZoL
0.6.4 ( 0.6.5.6 was used in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS), and Illumos in the early to mid
2014 era.

I think the term "portable" is more specific than "compat[ible]", so "-o
features=portable" is probably a better name.  Thanks to whoever suggested that
at the meeting Tuesday.

I think that the definition of "-o features=portable" needs to change over
time, as features become more widely available.  Do you have thoughts on how
specifically we should do that?

This feature list effectively changes over time as a feature is rolled out into
the last of the OpenZFS distributions to adopt it.
That means it changes out of cycle with all of the distributions' release
cycles.
One way to handle that would be to hold it in an easily editable local file
with a master copy available for download (from, say,
www.open-zfs.org<http://www.open-zfs.org>). This would allow system maintainers
to keep their copies up to date if they want to, but equally, there's no
incompatibility in not keeping the local file up to date if the system
maintainer simply relies on the distribution builder to be doing that, and the
system maintainer picks these up these with OS upgrades.

--
Andrew Gabriel