Michiel Meeuwissen wrote:
> It seems that the problem is related to tomcat 4. Most people using 1.8
> seem to use tomcat 5 nowadays (which indeed is the declared stable for
> quite some time already).
>
> But well, since we have not officially dropped support for tomcat 4, I
> will investigate and fix.
>
> For the moment everybody using nighly builds of head needs to be aware
> that it does not work in tomcat 4.

FYI,

Turns out that the problem was that in the current tld of
mmbase-taglib.jar there were a few jsp 2.0 features ('functions'), which
I experimented with.

I solved it by the use of plural TLD's as is done e.g. also in
standard.jar for the standard taglibs, because I did not want to drop
these new features, because they are actually useful (though not as yet
properly documented).

So, the taglib with the URI: http://www.mmbase.org/mmbase-taglib-1.0  has
no JSP 2.0 features, and the one with the new URI
http://www.mmbase.org/mmbase-taglib-2.0  does.

This is a satisfactory solution, because you can simply change 1 into
2 in your jsps if you are on a jsp2.0 supporting app-server, and also
have the jsp2.0 features of mmbase taglib.

There is no need for an extra entry in web.xml, because actually there
is no need for an extry in web.xml at all. See e.g. the example
web-2.4.xml of CVS, which makes no mention of mmbase taglib, but still
it works, because tomcat 5 is scanning the jars for taglib definitions.

If I could find out the URI or version in the taglib implemetnation
itself, this may also become the 'EL compatibility' fix. Using uri
mmbase-taglib-2.0 will trigger EL compatibility then, while the original
URI will cause the original behaviour. But this is just a tought, of
which I did not yet explore its feasibility.

Michiel

--
Michiel Meeuwissen                  mihxil'
Mediacentrum 140 H'sum                [] ()