Rob van Maris wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2005, at 6:57 PM, Michiel Meeuwissen wrote:
> >About the name. Since in the same phrase you call it 'applications'
> >and the
> >current module is called applications, I would propose
> >'third-party-applications', or so, to not contribute to the confusion.
> >think a 'package' is the result of a build on an 'mmbase application'
> >(or
> >you can talk about a 'package containing an application'. Well err, I
> >don't
> >know. I think Daniel wants 'packages'.
>
> Let's be pragmatic about this and not make matters too complicated.

I just wanted to use the occasion to do something about the terminilogy, or
at least to record it.

> IIRC the terminology introduced by the Packaging Project is:
> - package: functional unit of software,
> - bundle: larger work, assembled from a selection of packages.
>
> In a general (i.e. non-MMBase) context these are commonly referred to
> as modules and applications. However, in a MMBase context this should
> be discouraged, as both "module" and "application" have a more specific
> (albeit legacy) meaning here.

Perhaps yes, but still everybody talks about 'third party applications' and
not about 'third party packages'. Currently a CVS module is called
'applications'.  I think it is worth recording actual use, like they do in
dictionairies, perhaps with notices about if something is 'encouraged' or
not.

I think btw that there is not much wrong with a word that has a specific and
a more general meaning at the same time. This is very common.

> My suggestion for the name of the new CVS module is simply
> "third-party", reflecting the fact that its basically a heterogenous
> collection of contributions with varying structure.

'third-party'  I like as well, but 'contrib' has some parallels in other
projects isn't it? (Well, at least it reminds me of debian's 'contrib').

MIchiel

--
Michiel Meeuwissen                  mihxil'
Mediacentrum 140 H'sum                [] ()