Ernst Bunders wrote:
I have one question: you propose to postpone the actual transformation
(which is fine), and bring into place a method for gouging the size of
the image when it will be created. I wonder, is it much cheaper to gouge
the size than to do the actual transformation? Is it not simpler to just
do the transformation as soon as the size is requered? or am i missing
something?

It maybe cheaper in the simple case of a just a size transformation, however it depends on the source image. If the transformation gets more complex (cropping, blurring). It quickly becomes quite expensive. Especially since an exec of an external program from a JVM is by default quite expensive. On some platforms it even requires extra memory equals to the JVM memory size (physical memory even!). So that is very expensive, and also one of the reasons you delegate the conversion to a specific server.

--
Rico Jansen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
"You call it untidy, I call it LRU ordered" -- Daniel Barlow