Wouter Westendorp wrote:
> First of all is a more sophisticted security mechnism. Today's multi
> user webapplications demand some kind of role based security system,
> where we can define who is allowed to access or perform changes on what
> kind of data. MMBase currently lacks objecttype level or fieldtype level
> authorization.

There is some object-type level authorization though. The 'context' of the
associated 'typedef' object determins whether you can create object of that
type (the 'create' right). I'm not sure if read-rights on the typedef
influence read-rights of the nodes of that type. If not, I would consider
it a bug :-)

> Internationalization. I am writing web sites, so they are available
> world wide. So my content should be localized! I know there is a lot
> possible, but a generic way to translate or localize content is up to
> our imagination.

There was a project for this. But I agree, it still lacks.

Actually it is quite hard to get it absolutely right. E.g. to sort content
correctly, you need to define the language on database level. I think some
databases only make that possible on the database itself (and not on a
table, a column or even a query), so perhaps mmbase has to learn how to
store content in different database first? Perhaps the solution is to not
use database sorting and complete depend on external indexing like with
lucene.

> Performance. Reading data is most of the time very fast due to caches
> and so on, but updates suck. Updates need to travel a long way trough
> all bridges and caches, so its not a surprise that this takes some time.
> However, for applications with a lot of updates, it is a weak point were
> our end user has to live with! Okay, we need a phat server for MMBase,
> true. Your proposal for snapshots may change this probably?

Bulk-updates en bulk-deletes come into mind also (also pointed out by
Nico).

> Installation and maintenance is also quite diverse. One needs in depth
> knowledge of MMBase internals to get it running the way we want. Thanks
> to that, many of us have a full time job, but as a novice user, I just
> want to hit 'I Agree, Next, Next, Finish' :)

It probably is mainly a matter of a good receipe. Because actually it is
very simple :-)

Michiel

--
Michiel Meeuwissen                  mihxil'
Peperbus 107 MediaPark H'sum          []()