On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Motyka Rafal <rafal.mot...@digia.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to express another suggestions for bug management:
> - A newly opened bug report shouldn't be automatically assigned to anyone.
> - Logged-in users should be able to assign bug reports to themselves.
>
> Assigned = 'someone works or is going to work on the item'
> Unassigned = 'nobody works on the item'
>
> Please feel free to comment on this.
> If there are no serious objections, this change will be introduced soon. The
> impact of the change will be evaluated.

I think that this is something that can be decided by each module maintainer.

Personally, I'm happy to have testlib bugs auto-assigned to me so that
I get an email for each new bug to prompt me to go and triage it.  I
prefer the email notification to having to poll Jira frequently.  The
volume of new bug reports in testlib is low enough that this works
well for me.  I also happen to be the default assignee of the Other
component and getting those bugs auto-assigned to me prompts me via
email to have a look and figure out which component the Other bugs
really belong to.  Unless I mark something as In Progress, I'm happy
for anybody else to take it off my hands by assigning it to
themselves.

On the other hand, I can see that maintainers with a larger throughout
of Jira tasks might prefer to default to Unassigned and poll Jira for
high-priority items.  Jira supports both options on a per-component
basis, so we can be flexible.

Cheers,
--
Jason