On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Jason H <jh...@gmx.com> wrote:
> Lydia,
>
> First, let me say I've stated my support of the KDE CoC. Thank you for your
> effort in it.
>
> But then you make a statement in your post script that demonstrates exactly
> what I'm talking about.  You stated  "some emails in this thread sadly make
> me see part of the project in a different light. I fear I'm not the only
> one."? Would you say the project has created fear in you and this has somehow
> "harmed" the project in some way? Who were these people that changed your
> mind? We need to identify these people and ban them because they are not
> casting the widest inclusive and protective audience and anything less than
> that is harm... Let the witch hunt begin... right?

Sorry. I seem to have been misunderstood here. As others have said at
the core a Code of Conduct should not be about banning anyone. That's
a measure of very last resort. A lot of work should be put in before
that happens. Talking, making aware of an issue, mediation, bringing
in a neutral third party, separating the parties and a lot of other
things are possible before that to address a problem. A Code of
Conduct should be as much about stating what a community wants to be
as about what it doesn't want. I think about it as a statement of
intent that broadcasts values to the rest of the world and gets shared
understanding in a community. Some communities then decide to add
rules and punishments for violations. Other decide to hand that over
to a committee or something similar.  There are pros and cons to
either.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors