From: Development <development-boun...@qt-project.org> On Behalf Of Lars Knoll
Sent: 27 January 2020 14:35
To: Qt development mailing list <development@qt-project.org>
Subject: [Development] Changes to Qt offering

Hi all,

The Qt Company has done some adjustments to the Qt will be offered in the
future. Please check out https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-offering-changes-2020 .

The change consists of three parts.

One is a change in policy regarding the LTS releases, where the LTS part of a
release is in the future going to be restricted to commercial customers. All
bug fixes will (as agreed on the Qt Contributor Summit) go into dev first.
Backporting bug fixes is something that the Qt Company will take care of for
these LTS branches. We’ve seen over the past that LTS support is something
mainly required by large companies, and should hopefully help us get some more
commercial support for developing Qt further.

The second change is that a Qt Account will be in the future required for
binary packages. Source code will continue to be available as currently. This
will simplify distribution and integration with the Marketplace. In addition,
we want open source users to contribute to Qt or the Qt ecosystem. Doing so is
only possible with a valid Qt Account (Jira, code review and the forums all
require a Qt Account).

The third change is that The Qt Company will in the future also offer a lower
priced product for small businesses. That small business product is btw not
limited to mobile like the one Digia had some years ago, but covers all of Qt
for Device Creation.

None of these changes should affect how Qt is being developed. There won’t be
any changes to Open Governance or the open development model.

Best regards,
Lars