Hey,

> We do generate release notes for patch release, i.e.
> https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtreleasenotes.git/about/qt/6.5.1/release-note.md
> where this particular change is included in the “Important Changes”
> section:
> https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtreleasenotes.git/about/qt/6.5.1/release-note.md#qtdeclarative
>
> The intention of those notes is to make it easier for people upgrading
> to evaluate the impact, and to decide whether some extra testing needs
> to be done before rolling the new version out to everyone.
>
> But maybe this is not the most effective way to communicate changes
> like this. Are these notes easy enough to find? Is a single “Important
> Changes” section sufficient, or do we need more differentiation? Some
> important changes are marked as such because they fix a bad bug,
> others might be marked as important because they might require
> adaptation in existing code that relies on previous behavior. They are
> all marked as "Important Behavior Change” in the commit log, and
> usually with a module or even type name (in this case,
> "[ChangeLog][QtQuick][ListView][Important Behavior Change]”). Our
> commit template suggests “[ChangeLog][module][class/topic]”.
>
> Perhaps the release-notes generation script could group things a bit
> better, at least by module rather than by repository, and also
> including the class/topic.
>
> Ideas on how we can make this better are very welcome.

It's a tiny change, but personally I'd appreciate if the titles of the
"Important changes" entries were formatted in bold. It'd make things a
bit easier to scan visually, as that's all you need to get a first
impression of "does this affect me in any way?".

As for discoverability, I see it's linked in the release blog post.
Perhaps it could also be listed in the release announce mails for people
who don't click through to the blog post?

Finally (not sure if that's already done), for people upgrading using
the installer, maybe the installer could link to the release notes or
even show them inline?

But in the end, I suppose many people (don't necessarily mean the OP
here, just in general) just won't read them. Not much you can do about
that, I think.

Florian