On 8 Dec 2023, at 11:40, Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilshei...@qt.io> wrote:

The request at hand is to move two of the reference APIs that are based on the
interface framework out into a separate qt-labs repository. Those two APIs are,
as Dominik pointed out, very automotive specific. But just because they are
based on the interface framework doesn’t mean that we need to use “interface
framework” in the name.

After trying to wrap my head around what the Qt Interface Framework does and
how the reference APIs fit into that, and given that they are automotive
specific, I’d call that new module perhaps “qt-labs/qtvehicleservices.git” or
even “qt-labs/qtvehiclecabinservices.git” (since the modules under discussion
are all about things in the cabin - airflow, windows, radio and other media -
and not about engine- or driving-related stuff).

I do think that we should rename the overly generically named "interface
framework" module before we make it part of a Qt release. It combines a number
of different abstractions for building loosely coupled systems. Interface
definitions and API abstractions are perhaps just “implementation details”. The
core functionality of the interface framework seems to be service definition
and discovery, enabling the building of modular systems. I don’t know if
“qtservicediscoveryframework” is much of an improvement though, but that we
don’t have a good name for that yet doesn’t have to block moving out of the
vehicle-services-code.

Agreed. And moving those services out to an automative specific labs repo might
make it easier to find a good name for the leftovers (service discovery seems
like the general theme indeed).

Cheers,
Tor Arne

Volker

On 7 Dec 2023, at 20:01, Maurice Kalinowski via Development