Charlie Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I don't see that there would be any advantage. SME server is already
> based on RedHat with all applicable errata and updates applied.

Well of course it is.  It is simply not current.

> So what does krud buy us?

Things like a current kernel with ext3 would be just a start :-)

If we move to use krud's RedHat 7.2 release we get the most current errata
and bug patched RedHat 7.2 release.  More current then any RedHat released
iso. In addition krud issues monthly releases and provides for an easy
built-in update tool that polls the krud site for new rpms.  They do this
for far cheaper then RedHat's Network service.

Basically I'm thinking back to previous development project ideas for
moving forward onto the latest and greatest RedHat kernel, ext3 release.
Krud appeared to me to be possibly a better choice then following a generic
RedHat release track where we all have to reinvent the wheel and manually
add the current errata and bug patches.  Krud seems to do this for you.

In addition there may be opportunities to invite their development team and
community to join in the effort.  They appear to be experienced with
RedHat's latest and greatest.

This is just an idea I'm running up the devinfo flag pole.  I realize this
is 'thinking outside the box' but maybe it's time to get out of the box
anyhow.

Comments are welcomed.

--
Darrell May