On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Darrell May wrote:

> If we take axonlinux as a project that has travelled this path already,
> they built a new distro iso.  To be very brief.... they essentially took a
> disto (SGI XFS) and added all the e-smith rpms that the distro did not
> include by default.  After that you dive under the hood and test what works,
> what doesn't work, modify the templates as appropriate, rebuild rpms that
> need updating, add new rpms, bundle and build into a new iso... and
> axonlinux was born.
>
> Skill level required to do the above is high but anyone with time and
> resources may challenge this.
>
> Unfortunately I am deeply involed in other major projects at the moment. If
> someone else would lead this project I will offer my assistance to get you
> going.  I followed axonlinux and have enough knoweldge myself to be at least
> a resource that might know an answer or two ;->
>
> As time permits and as my schedule clears, I'll be happy to join in a more
> fuller capacity.

So you are suggesting a project fork. That's a lot of work, and fragments
the community. So you should have very good justification for proposing
is.

Would it not be better to develop a HOWTO for a 2.4 kernel upgrade (not
difficult) and for an ext3 file system conversion (more difficult, but
quite doable)?

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739