Am Dienstag 21 April 2009 17:41:59 schrieb Theodore Hong:
> VolodyA! V Anarhist <volo...@whengendarmesleeps.org> wrote:
> > Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > If you watch the 'Human body' documentary it says that humans have on
> > average 20 people they call friends. I am unsure where that number comes
> > from, but if it's some scientific study, that's another reason to keep 20
> > node limit, or if we increase it than it shouldn't be more than something
> > like 25.
>
> There's a thing called Dunbar's number which supposedly represents an
> upper cognitive limit on the number of friendships that a person can
> keep track of - estimated to be around 150.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

So we get to the question, what a freenet contact is: A friend or an
aquaintance.

If you look at myspace and similar sites, you'll see people with hundreds of
"friends" which in truth are aquaintances.

Also the question arises, which number of friends will be efficient for
freenets algorithm: How many people have similar interest?

The wikipedia entry suggests that specialized academic interest groups are in
the size of 150 individuals. The same might be true for other specialized
groups.

If all members of such a group were using freenet: Should they all have every
other member of the group as freenet friends, or should they only have their
closest contacts?

If they should have more contacts, we'll need stronger friend interaction
features, so we can keep the cost for social interaction with friends low.

A Jabber server which automatically adds all friends as contacts would be an
option, I think.

Best wishes,
Arne
--