On Wednesday, 13. May 2009 15:03:13 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> Perhaps some form of feedback/ultimatum system? Users who are affected by
> spam from an identity can send proof that the identity is a spammer to the
> users they trust who trust that identity. If the proof is valid, those who
> trust the identity can downgrade him within a reasonable period; if they
> don't do this they get downgraded themselves?

I remember another alternative which was proposed (and implemented) for
Gnutella (but LimeWire chose not to merge the code for unknown reasons):

Voting not on users but on messages (objects):

- Main site: http://credence-p2p.org
- Papers: http://credence-p2p.org/paper.html
- Overview: http://credence-p2p.org/overview.html

I tested it back then and it worked quite well.

You could have two different settings: "ignore messages marked as spam" and
"only see messages marked as good".

They had the same problem of people not voting on "spam/not spam", but on "I
like it / I hate it", and their solution was a differenciated voting
mechanism.

It's implemented in Java, but the GUI ties into LimeWire. The core is mostly
independent, though (iirc).

It only depends on a limit on account creation: creating massive amounts of
accounts (who are alowed to vote) can break the system.

This limit could be realized by only allowing people with a minimum message
count to vote.

I don't know if it can perfectly be ported to freenet, but it should be worth
a look - also it's GPL licensed.

Best wishes,
Arne

   - singing a part of the history of free software -
              http://infinite-hands.draketo.de