On Thursday 24 Nov 2011 20:19:25 Tanya Pyatigorskaya wrote:
> Steve, now I'm writing my master's thesis.
> Initially it was devoted to file searching application which would provide
> search mechanism via new format indexes
> Now I'm writing a spam-proof,user-friendly application which allows users
> to share their indexes, maintain them and download others using special
> NNTP messages. It operates NNTP messages using FMS like NNTP bridge.
> e.g. user chooses what files he wants to insert in Freenet, add
> metainformation it and click add. After it special xml message is generated
> and inserted into  FMS, files are queued to be inserted into Freenet. Other
> users can see that such index appeared. Also it allows to trust or not to
> trust index-creators and their opinion about other people (as it is done in
> FMS) to provide users from spam . It would look like something like Thaw,
> something like FMS.
> If you are interested in it I can give more details =)

Cool. Personally I would have made three major changes:
- Insert a series of indexes as an SSK, rather than posting them as NNTP
messages. This would improve performance and reduce complexity.
- Use the WebOfTrust backend rather than talking NNTP to FMS.
- Make it a web application in Java so it can be bundled.
But it would be awesome to have such a thing even if people have to download it
themselves. I understand that the first two items require more understanding of
the codebase than you probably have, and more importantly, depend on having
WebOfTrust working well - which it isn't really yet. Good luck.

Long term Freenet does need something with the above properties IMHO.