On Thursday 16 Feb 2012 23:26:03 Florent Daigniere wrote:

> Different codebase, arguably no active developpement (7months since last
> commit? - https://github.com/sanity/tahrir/commits/master), no release yet,
> no userbase, ... different goals
>
> I am not sure it's a good fit for GSoC tbh... but then again, it's up to
> Google to judge that.
> Why do you think Freenet would be the right umbrella? Is there any
> integration in between both planned on the roadmap?
>
> Why not presenting it as a mentoring organization on its own?

Because setting up a nonprofit is a lot of work, and it's political enough that
it'd need its own nonprofit, the standard ones might not be appropriate.

And because its goals are broadly similar ideologically even if its technical
goals are, in the short term, somewhat divergent. And a lot of the technology
is similar too, although of course he's done everything in New And Wonderful
Ways.

Long term, Freenet needs pub/sub (for chat e.g.), and a good microblogging  UI
(well duh), and Tahrir needs routing and file storage (where are you gonna put
your suppressed pictures/phone footage?).

Hence bringing it under the FPI organisational umbrella may make sense. Having
said that, I don't think it would be appropriate to call Tahrir Freenet 2.0, at
least not at present. :)