If necessary we can continue to pay for our own server, however I think it
would be better for everyone if we could migrate over to solutions that don't
require that we manage our own servers, such as Github Issues for bugtracking.
 These servers are a time drain and a security vulnerability.
If Florent is no-longer willing to do it, we simply don't have anyone with the
expertise and time to manage a server, and nor should we need to since there are
free and widely used hosted services that do almost everything we need to do.
Ian.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 7:56 AM, x...@freenetproject.org  wrote:
On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 08:54:20 AM Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> Hi,

> Florent just warned again, that the clock on osprey (all our

> non-standard hosting) is ticking. If we don’t act, this means that all

> links to the wiki stop working.

I've read the IRC discussion, and I don't see any reason why our server should

go down except the fact that it looks like Florent isn't in the mood anymore

to maintain it and thus threatens to pull the plug on it when the new site

goes live.

There is at least one other person willing to maintain/host it, he should just

ask who wants to deal with it instead of treating it like his personal kingdom

which must go down with him.

With regards to the issue of paying it:

I'm even at the point where I am so scared of the potentially happening

nuclear act of destroying our codebase's maintainability by deleting the

bugtracker that I would actually consider paying for the a server myself if

Ian really doesn't want FPI to do so (albeit please be aware that I've

severely damaged my finances by volunteering for over a year, which was worth

thousands of dollars, and continuing to do so, so I'd be happy if I don't have

to, or if at least someone else paid a part).

Hell, the project HAS $25k which we cannot even manage to spend, we could

probably pay a server for decades...

So money isn't an issue as well.

So anyway, it's completely acceptable for him to not want to volunteer on

certain things anymore, but he must not take down our infrastructure just

because he isn't in the mood for dealing with it.

The website isn't the only important thing on it.

I'm willing to have a look at how to maintain the thing if someone gives me

access to the shell / web interface of the hoster.

Arne, would you be willing to also participate in maintenance?

> To avoid that, I can provide hosting of a static copy of the wiki with

> links at the top of each article to the new github based wiki. I already

> talked about this with Florent, so I’m now taking this here for wider

> discussion.

While this is a kind offer, it will lead us into a trap which we already fell

into once:

When we migrated from $old_wiki_software to MediaWiki, we put the old one in

read-only mode.

As a result, nobody knows what has been migrated and what hasn't because

people cannot delete things right after they migrated them. Thus as migration

is very difficult now, the old wiki is STILL is running and has been for

almost a decade:

https://old-wiki.freenetproject.org

Further, we are also running a second MediaWiki instance as the French wiki

- so we now have 4 wikis!

Thus, I would say the proper way to do migration now is:

- Keep hosting the full software of the old Wikis so they can be writeable.

- Ask people to *delete* things they migrated.

- Consider aborting the migration to GitHub given that it has been running for

months and it seems like nobody wants to finish it. 3 Wikis were enough

already, we shouldn't start a new one if we cannot even finish the migration

of the old new ones.

--

Maintainer of the Web of Trust and Freetalk subprojects of Freenet

Ian ClarkeStacks - Our AI will save your moneyhttp://trystacks.com/