On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Matthew
Toseland<toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Probably worth moving forward on this? Submenus are important, we have a lot
> of content and it's not well organised. And arguably the theme is better, and
> arguably even if it isn't better it's a change, and is no worse...
>
> On Monday 01 June 2009 01:24:24 Cl?ment wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> about three weeks ago I had a HCI webproject to do.
>> The subject was : improve an existant website (well, I'm not 100% sure that
>> it
>> was the subject, but that what we've done)
>>
>> I convinced the three other people who worked with me to work on the freenet
>> website. It was a small project though (3 hours with a teacher in the room, +
>> 3 hours max of personal time), so we didn't go far.
>>
>> But maybe some of what we've done could be usefull for the project.
>>
>> Here is the copy/paste of what we've done :
>
> I like the submenus. I think that is fairly universal. New layout is fine. I
> am not convinced about the way the site has been split up however. More
> comment below...

>> Objective of the new website:
>> - To improve the existing navigation controls of freenetproject.org
>> - To improve it's structural presentation of information on home page
>>

>> Aim of the web-site:
>> - to present the software product and provide support
>> - documentation and tools to users and developers to allow them to use and
>> contribute to the software.
>>
>> Problems:
>> The problems of current website http://freenetproject.org :
>> - irrelevant information for homepage: mainly financial status, we don't know
>> what freenet is
>> - too many items in left navigation menu and not really well structured
>> - documentation section where subsections do not have direct hyperlinks - its
>> confusing
>>
>> Solutions we proposed:
>> - simpler horizontal navigation bar with restructured tree
>> - new menu tree proposition:
>>
>> ? ? ? ? Home -- what is freenet a bit modified page
>
> This page looks good IMHO.
>>
>> ? ? ? ? About freenet:
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? what is freenet
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? philosophy
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? contributors
>>
>> ? ? ? ? Downloads:
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? freenet
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? tools
>
> Tools are unofficial and unsupported. Maybe download should be under home?
>>
>> ? ? ? ? Contribute:
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? papers -- research and stuff
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? developer
>
> I'm not convinced papers belong under Contribute.
>>
>> ? ? ? ? Donations
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? donate
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? sponsors
>
> Ok. But shouldn't both be under Contribute?
>>
>> ? ? ? ? Support & feedback
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? help --documentation and stuff
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? faq --move out from help section
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? mailing lists
>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? suggestions

> [...]

IMHO the wiki should be made more prominent, with a top level link.

Is there any reason the following shouldn't be wiki pages?
Current docs
What is Freenet?
Papers
Philosophy
People

I'm happy to volunteer to work on the wiki, but only if it is going to
be made prominent enough that new users are likely to see it.  Buried
under a submenu as it presently is, I feel that effort spent improving
it would be wasted because no one who needs the info would ever see
it.

Evan Daniel