I agree with this view too. We just don't have enough developer time to worry
about this *and* progress with more productive features. Even Tor, which has
many times more resources than us, don't worry about swap/etc/whatever.

The theoretical scope of freenet design is to have secure and anonymous storage
and transfer. (Everything unknown to you) is encrypted so that you can have
plausible deniability if your machine gets seized and examined. There is no
difference between running a node, and never using it to actually obtain stuff
for yourself - you're still providing "the freenet service" to others.

However, once you access data in a readable form, you've decrypted it. This is
just like accessing anything on any other service (looking at web pages,
reading email, etc). Your computer is going to cache it, leaving traces of what
you've done.

In this scenario, it's up to the individual what level of security they want.
It can only be up to the individual - only they know what they've accessed, and
can get in trouble for. Security that you don't need is just a waste of time
and resources. Also, if we spend this much time on an issue out of our scope
we're effectively DDoSing our own development time.

So yes we should just drop "physical security". To do it properly we'll have to
fuck with parts of people's machines we really shouldn't be fucking with; and
if they are that paranoid (I am) they should just encrypt their entire disks,
which will cover non-freenet stuff too.

Obviously, we should try to make it clear (like Tor[1]) what Freenet DOES and
DOES NOT do. "the freenet service" only tries to provide an
anonymous/DDoS-resistant insert/request service, it doesn't try to protect you
after you actually *get* that data.

[1] http://www.torproject.org/download.html.en#Warning