On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Robert Hailey
<robert at freenetproject.org>wrote:

> On 2012/01/23 (Jan), at 8:21 AM, Martin 'The Bishop' Scheffler wrote:
>
> > well, i see the megaupload-bust as a second factor to that.
> > we should thank the FBI for pushing users in our direction :-)
>
> And then we should push development of freenet into freenet itself before
> the FBI comes in our direction. :-)

=/

Development alone will not save us.

With a sufficient set of arguments and PR, we should be able not only to
keep the FBI at bay, but even portray ourselves as people who are doing
good(because we are!). This is exactly how WikiLeaks protected themselves
before they got really big. They were very practiced at answering
*all*counterarguments to their activities. I have seen a good deal of
development and tech support discussion in #freenet, but I have not seen a
proportionate amount of legal and social defenses.

Maybe it would be possible to make friends with the EFF or ACLU? I'm not
sure how we'd get the help we may need.