Hi,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>

> > On Jun 25, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Eduard Moraru wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> I am not a big fan of seeing code (of any kind) in titles. IMO, it is
> bad
> >> practice and we should discourage people from doing it. You have lots of
> >> problems when some application lists the titles of pages with code in
> their
> >> title or, worse, when the application tries to render those titles. You
> >> have all sorts of security issues and generally bad things when the
> writer
> >> of that title does not assume that it is going to be rendered outside
> his
> >> page. I know it is a cool feature, but it is causing too much headache
> >> handle correctly.
> >>
> >> AFAIK, 90% of the times when we need the title to be rendered is
> because we
> >> need translation keys. We could very well have a filtered wiki syntax,
> that
> >> allows only calls to the new {{translation}} macro.
> >>
> >> An alternative to people that *really* want to generate their title
> trough
> >> a script is to actually keep the title extraction from the document
> content
> >> and make them have to generate a <h1> element from the content, not from
> >> the title. This means that they have to leave the actual title empty for
> >> the extraction to be triggered and, if I am not mistaken, applications
> that
> >> want to list document titles can use
> >> api.Document.gerRenderedTitle(document.syntax.toIdString()) (as they
> >> probably did before) and the first heading (that is either static or
> >> programmatically generated) will be displayed, which sounds good to me.
> >>
> >> So I would be +1, considering the comment above (restricted use of
> macros).
> >
> > Consistency *is* simplicity:
> > * No new concept to learn for users (same tools, same concept to edit
> title and content)
> > * Same security model so that's safe. Which isn't the case when you
> start doing custom stuff as you suggest

Do you consider the current titles "safe"?

Even when they are listed by an external application? Specially when that
application knows that it can have velocity in the titles, so it calls
getRenderedTitle to display a pretty string instead of ugly velocity, but,
at the same time, it can get a $doc.delete() call or whatever boobytrap
that could be lying inside some misguided document title?

> > Being a web dev platform, the title really must be programmable too
> (which it is already but in a custom way, not using the same code than the
> content is using hence maintenance and security issues).
>
> BTW I agree about it not being easy to have dynamic title, ie value that
> change depending on the context…
>
> But I don't see many other solution and generating title in content is not
> so nice IMO.
>
> If you think about it the title is a metadata like any other XObject you
> add to a page (and they are dynamic and can contain wiki syntax/scripts)

Yes, but we don`t currently rush to automatically render any object inside
the page just because they can write wiki syntax/scripts in it, do we? :)

. Even the doc content can be thought as a metadata. It's not because it's
> harder for it to be dynamic that we shouldn't do it (otherwise we'll just
> be a static web site generation tool ;)).

That's not the point. My issue with the title is that it is (almost) always
exposed to the outside, having an impact outside of its originating
document. You can`t really say that about a document's content. You're
pretty sure that a document content will be rendered inside the document
itself. If someone decides to render it some other place, then it's bad
practice or it's a sheet, both cases being OK from our POV.

I think we are (already) giving too much credit (and power) to a document's
title, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks,
Eduard