I agree with Paul.

The way I usually do searches is:

- each field gets indexed several times, including:
-- exact matches ^5n (field == query)
-- prefix matches ^1.5n (field ^= query)
-- same spelling ^1.8n (query words in field)
-- fuzzy matching ^n (aggressive tokenization and stemming)
-- stub matching ^.5n (query tokens are prefixes of indexed tokens)
-- and three catch-all fields where every other field gets copied, with
spelling, fuzzy and stub variants
- where n is a factor based on the field's importance: page title and
name have the highest boost, a catch-all field has the lowest boost
- search with edismax, pf with double the boost (2n) on
exact,prefix,spelling,fuzzy and qf on spelling,fuzzy,stub

Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/