Well, my usecase is not the same, since I'm indexing ontologies and the
end purpose is to find the best matching terms. A few numbers though:

- 4MB ontology with 11k terms ends up as 16M index (including
spellcheck, and most fields are also stored), searches take ~40ms
including the XWiki overhead, ~10ms just in Solr
- 180MB ontology with 24k terms -> 100M index, ~15ms Solr search time

For smaller indexes, it does seem to use more disk space than the
source, but Lucene is good at indexing larger data sets, and after a
while the index grows slower than the data.

For me it is worth the extra disk space, since every user is amazed by
how good the search is at finding the relevant terms, overcoming typos,
synonyms, and abbreviations, plus autocomplete while typing.

In XWiki, not all fields should be indexed in all the ways, since it
doesn't make sense to expect an exact match on a large textarea or the
document content.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/