+1 with one note

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau
<guillaume.delhum...@xwiki.com> wrote:
> +1

>> Hi devs,
>>
>> We are trying to reduce the size of oldcore (been working on it for years
>> ;)). We currently have code for XAR import and export in several places in
>> oldcore.
>>
>> I’d like to define the strategy that we’d like to follow in the future for
>> moving this code out.
>>
>> Let’s see what we have and what it could become:
>> * An existing ‘filter" module outside of oldcore to import/export XAR.
>> * An action for exporting a XAR: ExportAction. Future: make it a new URL
>> type with components as we’ve done for webjars
>> * An action for importing a XAR: ImportAction. Future: make it a new URL
>> type with components as we’ve done for webjars
>> * A UI at the page level to export a page as a XAR. Future: add an UIXP in
>> export_modal.vm and plugin the XAR option as an UIX
>> * 2 Uis in the admin to import and export XARx. Future: convert those for
>> ConfigurableClass.
>> * A legacy  “packaging” plugin with oldcode to import XARs. Future: retire
>> it in xwiki-contrib and rewrite the Import/Export Admin UI to use the new
>> XAR filter from the filter module.
>> * Ancillary classes such as XARImport*/XARExport* events.
>>
>> So the question is where to put those?
>>
>> Proposal: xwiki-platform-xar
>> =====================
>>
>> I think what would make the most sense would be to continue the XAR module
>> started by Thomas: xwiki-platform-xar.
>>
>> It would go like this:
>>
>> xwiki-platform-xar
>>   |_ xwiki-platform-xar-api (what’s currently in xwiki-platform-xar + Java
>> code from oldcore defined above)

Note: the module containing actual XAR format tools (i.e. the current
xwiki-platform-xar module) should stay light on the dependencies and
not depend on anything like oldcore so if you plan to move actions we
will need two different modules.

>>   |_ xwiki-platform-xar-ui (the ui part of the oldcore code above)
>>   |_ xwiki-platform-xar-filter (the move from xwiki-platform-filter-stream-
>> xar)
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> The other option that I like less would be to group everything under the
>> filter module but it doesn’t seem good. I’d prefer to keep this module
>> generic as much as possible and have “business” modules using it (XAR
>> import/export, Confluence import/export, MediaWiki,import/export, etc).
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Vincent

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau (guillaume.delhum...@xwiki.com)
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Thomas Mortagne