On 01/18/2017 03:43 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

>> On 18 Jan 2017, at 21:23, Sergiu Dumitriu <ser...@xwiki.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think this is a good idea for the future, but not right now. There are
>> several things that current browsers don't support yet, such as the
>> ability to specify page size and orientation
>
> I’ve just tested it and I could select the orientation, paper size, margins,
> whether header/footers are printed, etc.

It's not about selecting them manually from the browser, but specifying
it in the CSS. The CSS print module contains rules for this, but not all
browsers implement them.

>> , setting custom headers and
>> footers, and we'd need to work more to generate the cover and ToC. With
>> FOP we can control exactly how things work in all browsers, while
>> leaving this part to the browser is guaranteed to lead to inconsistent
>> and buggy output.
>
> Well that’s the problem and the reason why I sent this email: right now FOP
> doesn’t allow us to control much because it’s limited and buggy. We have
> plenty of open jira issues related to FOP and we’ve worked hard (too hard) to
> fix issues in the past and we’re stuck on several of them (I can think of
> table auto layout).
>
> When I’ve tried to export a wiki page both with the browser print button and
> with our PDF export, I’ve had a better result (by better I mean that
> corresponds more to what the user is viewing) with the browser print button.
> Of course our print.css is lacking a lot of styles but that’s easily fixable
> (BTW I don’t understand why we don’t use view styles by default, most of them
> should work just fine).
>
> The other advantage is that browsers work all the time to improve this and
> thus we delegate the work to them (we reduce our maintenance).
>
> Note that I’m not suggesting to drop what we’re doing now but to not make it
> the default since it’s of lower quality than the browser print result.

"Better quality" is subjective... But with enough work on either side
(pdf.css or print.css) we can improve the look of the PDF. The main
problem is that nobody considered it a high enough priority to spend
time on making the PDF look nice. At a hackathon during 2012's XWiki
seminar, IIRC, there was some work for this, but I don't think that ever
got committed.

Long term, it does make sense to stop spending time on the FOP export
and into browser's print stylesheet.

> What we could  do right now is:
> * Run some factual tests on various wiki pages and compare them with both
> solutions and see which are best.
> * Quickly try to improve our print.css to match our style.css more.

print.css shouldn't be an alternative to style.css, but something on top
of it, improving certain things for printing.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu