Hi Clement,

> On 23 Feb 2018, at 07:24, Clément Aubin <aubincl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> In October / November of last year, we integrated the Keypress JS
> library as a replacement of OpenJS Keyboard in order to better handle
> keyboard shortcuts in the platform and its extensions and add new
> shortcut types (such as "sequence" shortcuts) useful for [1].
>
> Moving to this library has also brought some bugs, such as XWIKI-15024
> [2]. Currently, that bug can be fixed upstream by the library
> maintainer, that unfortunately isn't very active on the project.
> Choosing a library that isn't properly maintained might have been a
> problem that we didn't really thought of when switching to Keypress JS.
>
> In order not to be stuck by waiting for upstream releases, I propose
> that we fork the library, and fix the problem raised by XWIKI-15024
> ourselves by reviewing and integrating a patch proposed upstream, but
> not yet merged [3]. Of course this solution has pros and cons, the main
> downside being that we will need to maintain our fork.
>
> Also note that, if we fork the project, we will have to choose either to
> keep the source code in its original form (which is CoffeeScript [4]) or
> to translate the code into JavaScript, which is more maintainable for
> us, but that will probably not allow us to integrate other patches from
> the official project branch.
>
> WDYT ?

+1 to do a quick fork to fix XWIKI-15024 because it’s a blocker so we need to
do whatever it takes to fix ASAP (ASAP = in 1 or 2 days).

-1 to keep this fork. This is just painful and costly. It means we’ve picked
the wrong JS library for shortcuts and that we’ve picked an unmaintained one.
Bad choice :( Thus I’d recommend to review existing JS libraries more to try to
find a better one (we don’t necessarily need all the bells and whistles of
KeypressJS, we just need to be able to add our developer shortcuts). Imagine if
we had to do this for every library we pick :) That’s why we need to be careful
to only pick maintained libs and move away from them when they’re not anymore.
It’s definitely not the objective of XWiki to maintain JS code for supporting
shortcuts (if we can avoid it ofc, meaning that if there aren’t any libs out
there we won’t have the choice but we need to search again for one first).

-1 to convert to JS for now. We need to bring the minimal modification in the
hope that the PR we submit to Keypress JS gets reintegrated.